Report Elderly Abuse

Reporting Elder Abuse – How To Report Elderly Abuse?

Elder abuse is unfortunately a lot more common than you may think. Many seniors are abused each day around the world. For every one case of Elder Abuse that is reported, at least 23 more go unreported! Make sure to do your part and report any suspected elder abuse. Read below for some different alternatives on reporting elderly abuse.

Different Types of Elder Abuse:

  • Physical
  • Emotional
  • Sexual
  • Neglect or Abandonment
  • Financial Exploitation

If You Suspect Elder Abuse – Report it. Here’s How to Report Elder Abuse:

If you suspect elder abuse, report it.

County Adult Protective Services (APS)  

The County APS agencies investigate reports of suspected elder abuse and dependent abuse for those who live in private homes, hospitals, and health clinics. The California Department of Social Services has offices in all 58 counties in California. For a comprehensive list of all counties visit their website at . Once you click on the DSS website, follow the “Report Abuse” link to find your county.  Or click on one of the links below to print out a form which you can submit.

To Report Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Abuse:

To Report Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Financial Abuse:

Department of Public Health (DPH) – Licensing and Certification Program

The California Department of Public Health Licensing and Certification Program oversee health facilities such as nursing homes. If you suspect elder abuse that is happening in a nursing home you may not want to discuss the problem with the facility directly. The facility itself should have the Licensing and Certification office location and number posted in the facility, however you can also find the proper office to contact by visiting the Department of Public Health website at .

California Department of Aging – Long Term Care Ombudsman’s Office

To report suspected elder mistreatment in long-term care facilities, contact the elder abuse hotline at 1-800-231-4024 or you can contact your local ombudsman office.

Orange County Social Los Angeles County

Services Agency Community and Senior Services

P.O. Box 22006 3333 Wilshire Blvd., 4th Floor

Santa Ana, CA 92702 Los Angeles, CA 90010

(800) 451 – 5155 (877) 477 – 3646 or (626) 579 – 6905

Long-Term Care Ombudsman Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Program – Orange County Program – Los Angeles

1971 East Fourth St., Suite 200 P.O. Box 769

Santa Ana, CA 92705 Santa Monica, CA 90406

(714) 479-0107 (310) 393-3618

For a comprehensive list of local Ombudsman Programs statewide you can visit their website at

California Attorney General of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse

The California Attorney General Bureua of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse works to protect elders from abuse or neglect in both nursing homes and long-term care facilities. To report elder abuse to the Attorney General’s office contact their free elder abuse hotline at (800) 722-0432

Local Law Enforcement Agency

Elder abuse is a crime, so don’t forget that if you suspect elder abuse you can also contact any local law enforcement agency.

The Elderly need our help, don’t let another case go unreported. Do your part and report any suspected abuse to one of the many available resources listed above.