Elder Abuse of a Senior Citizen
As elderly become frail and vulnerable with old age, they require the love and care of loved ones. In cases of elder abuse of a senior citizen, it becomes really difficult for them to fight back against all the bullying. Many seniors around the world are being abused, harmed in substantial ways often by people who are responsible for their care – be it family members or nursing home & residential care facilities.
Though we see extreme levels of abuse cases, many times it is subtle. Signs of elder abuse may be hard to discern in such cases and the distinction between abuse and interpersonal distress that comes with old age is a little difficult.
While one sign does not necessarily indicate abuse, some tell-tale signs that there could be a problem are:
- Bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns may be an indication of physical abuse, neglect, or mistreatment
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities, a sudden change in alertness, and unusual depression may be indicators of emotional abuse
- Sudden changes in financial situations may be the result of exploitation
- Sudden and severe weight loss caused by malnourishment and dehydration
- Bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene, and unusual weight loss are indicators of possible neglect
- Strained or tense relationships, frequent arguments between the caregiver and elderly person are also signs
The most important thing to notice signs of elder abuse is alertness and being vigilant. The suffering is often in silence. If you notice a change in an elderly’s personality or behavior, you start asking questions. Your one step can make a huge difference in a senior’s life.
At Moran Law, we have different areas of practice for abuse and neglect cases on elderly, and a dedicated team of attorneys, paralegals and medical consultants to take care of every case.We know how to handle elder abuse of a senior citizen.